Updated: Jul 24, 2021
As the Indian Test team is gearing up for the upcoming England series, the young Indian brigade will be up against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. Among six batsmen and two wicket keepers in the squad excluding skipper Shikhar Dhawan, only one batsman has played more than 20 One Day Internationals. Therefore, its relatively a young squad. As the series inches closer, it is time we discuss and analyse domestic records of these batsmen.
Prithvi Shaw is one of the most exciting batsmen among these newbies. Already a Test player, Shaw is yet to make his mark in the limited overs format. He has played three ODIs and five Tests for the Indian team. His List A record speaks for himself as the youngster has amassed 2,211 runs from 42 List A matches with a phenomenal average of 58.18 and a staggering strike rate close to 125. The Mumbaikar has hammered eight centuries and the same number of half-centuries in such a short career.
The 21-year-old batsman has also scored 1,508 runs from 59 T20 matches with a sensational strike rate of over 150. He has smashed 13 half-centuries in T20 cricket. Many eyeballs will be hovering over Shaw as he is on the brink of becoming a permanent member in the Indian team.
Devdutt Padikkal is an elegant left-handed batsman. The 21-year-old batsman scored heavily for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League. The Kerala-born cricketer has a spectacular List A record for the Karnataka team. He scored 1,387 runs from 20 matches with a stunning average of 86.68 and a strike rate of 86.85. He clobbered six centuries and eight half-centuries.
Also, his T20 stats are remarkable. He has piled up 1,466 runs with an average of 43.11 and a strike rate of 146.74 in the shortest format of the game. The Karnataka batsman shattered various records in the process as he smashed 2 centuries and 11 half-centuries in just 39 T20 matches.
Suryakumar Yadav is a seasoned campaigner for the Mumbai cricket team. Also, he is one of the pillars of the Mumbai Indians. He piled up 2,779 runs from 98 List A matches, comprising three centuries and 17 fifties. His record in T20 cricket is more impressive than List A cricket. He has accumulated 3,829 runs from 180 T20 matches with 21 half-centuries.
Manish Pandey is a veteran Indian cricketer who first made a name for himself in Karnataka Ranji team. The 31-year-old batsman had an ODI debut five years ago. Still, he is always on the fringe side of Indian eleven even after spending five years in international cricket. He has piled up more than 5,000 runs in List A cricket with ten centuries. Also, he racked up close to 6,000 runs in T20 cricket along with 32 half-centuries and three centuries. He is the first Indian to score a century in the Indian Premier league. As Pandey is the most experienced batsman in the Indian squad after Dhawan, an added responsibility will be on his shoulders.
Nitish Rana has earned his maiden call-up for the Sri Lanka tour through his consistent good run in the IPL, playing for Kolkata Knight Riders. The left-handed batsman took many years to catch the eyes of selectors. He has piled up 1,940 runs in 58 List A matches with 11 half-centuries and three centuries.
In T20 cricket, he has smashed 21 half-centuries in 122 matches and accumulated 2,846 runs. It's interesting to see if Rana gets the India cap in this series or not.
Ishan Kishan is a young, dynamic and explosive left-handed batsman in the Indian squad. The Patna-born cricketer made headlines, courtesy of his breath-taking knocks in the IPL. He has accumulated 2,549 runs from 77 List A matches with four centuries and 12 half-centuries. The Mumbai Indians batsman smashed two centuries and 13 half-centuries while scoring over 2,500 runs in T20 cricket.
Sanju Samson is the captain of Rajasthan Royals in IPL. He has scored 2,445 runs with one century and 14 half-centuries in List A cricket. In T20 cricket, Samson piled up 4,309 runs off 178 matches, comprising 25 half-centuries and three centuries. Ishan Kishan and Samson will be competing against each other for the wicketkeeper's position in the Indian eleven on the SL tour.
Ruturaj Gaikwad is a new exciting prospect in the Chennai Super Kings team in IPL. The Maharashtra batsman has scored over 2,600 runs in 59 List A matches with seven centuries and 16 half-centuries. He has hammered over 11 fifties in the T20 format in 46 matches.
1. When we compare their numbers, we find out that Devdutt Padikkal and Prithvi Shaw have an exceptional record in List A cricket. If these two open for the Indian team against Sri Lanka, they can give the Indian team good and useful starts.
2. From the above graph, it is clear that Maharashtra player Ruturaj Gaikwad and veteran batsman Manish Pandey have a remarkable record in List A cricket. However, considering the inexperience of Gaikwad, Manish and other batsmen can get preference over him.
3. Suryakumar Yadav is an experienced domestic batsman but has an ordinary record in List A cricket with a miserly average of 37.55.
1. In T20 cricket Prithvi Shaw has an astonishing strike rate but his average is quite ordinary. However, as his record suggests he is capable of giving a flying start to the Indian team in the powerplay.
3. Glovesmen Kishan and Samson will compete for a position in eleven as the records of both players are nearly identical in T20 cricket.
4. Nitish Rana and Gaikwad have average records in T20 cricket. They may feature in few matches.
5. Manish Pandey can be benched in some matches in the T20I cricket series due to his poor record in international and domestic T20 cricket.
The ODI series between India and Sri Lanka has been rescheduled to start from July 18 to July 23 at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo. The T20I series will be played at the same venue between July 25 to 29. The rescheduling was done after two members of the Sri Lankan team’s support staff, batting coach Grant Flower and data analyst GT Niroshan tested positive for COVID-19.